Ludum Dare 31 post-mortem

Last night, at a little before 3AM, I finished my Ludum Dare 31 entry! Overall, I’m quite pleased with what I came up with, it’s pretty polished and the mechanic is somewhat non-standard. Sadly, the game gets old pretty fast, because of the limited amount of levels and actions. I would have added more, but I didn’t have as much time to spend on LD as I would have liked. Here’s a list of thought I’ll bring with me on the next jam.

  • Do a little bit of brainstorming.
    Normally when I enter in a jam, I immediatly start programming the foundation of the game, and then somehow get a more and more specific game idea as I’m programming along. I like this approach, and usually it works out fine, however I think it’d be better to spend some time really thinking about the idea before working on it, to make sure that I won’t spend to much time on a concept that will never be really fun.
  • Manage my time better
    This LD I wasn’t able to work on my entry on the sunday, except for the last few hours. When I stopped working on saturday, the foundation of the game was solid, but it was clear that, in order to make the game fun, a lot more elements would have to be added. If I could redo this jam, I would probably have spent less time on polishing the game, and more on gameplay, because obviously, gameplay is the more important bit.
  • Use a fucking Entity-Component system
    Instead of using an entity-component system in my game like any sane gamedev would do, I instead used a¬†hierarchical system (player is subclass of healthentity, is subclass of spriteentity, is subclass of collidableentity, …). Hierarchies only really work when you know before hand what kind of entities you want, and obviously in a jam, you have no idea what you’ll end up with in the end. Using components would have allowed me to be more flexible, and might have saved me some time.

If you’re interested, you can play my game here: